The main differences between a Black Diamond and Leopoldi are:
- Darker body colour (Black)
- Large spots should be whiter
- White spots on the paddle fin/ spots on claspers
- White spots around and in the eyes
- Belly spots
- Double row of small white spots around the disk edge
Black Diamonds can then be sub-divided into 3 categories
- Thousand Island: Has many small white spots covering its body with some larger spots on the middle of the disk
- Eclipse: Has bright white ring shaped pattern surrounding the disk often filled with black spots. These unique patterns often form line and letter shapes.
- Big Spot: Clearly given its name based on large circular white spots surrounding the disk of the ray. The pattern is often symmetrical although each fishes pattern is unique.